6 benefits of Jojoba oil for hair
Jojoba oil gets overlooked for its beneficial properties because it is one of the most commonplace oils used for hair and beauty.
While it is called an oil, Jojoba is actually a liquid wax, also called a wax ester. Its molecular structure is extremely comparable to human skin oil. Unrefined jojoba oil appears as a clear to pale yellow liquid with a slight, nutty aroma. Jojoba oil is also ideal for those with allergy sensitivities. Refined Jojoba is usually completely clear and has no odour at all. It is great for DIY recipes and large bulk recipes because of its shelf life; Jojoba is more shelf-stable than safflower, canola, and, and almond oils.
Here are the six benefits of Jojoba oil for hair treatment:
- Hair regrowth: Before clarifying and cleansing with a harsh shampoo and conditioner, add 10 drops of Jojoba directly to your scalp to balance out the natural oils you already make. Jojoba is a natural emollient, it fills in cracks that are on the surface of the hair cuticle and helps repair heat and styling damaged hair.
- Moisturise: Jojoba oil is used to treat Psoriasis and chapped sunburned skin. It can also be used to replenish dry skin and dry hair overnight, as well. Add a few drops onto your hair and massage gently, leave it overnight and wash it gently in the morning.
- Prevents dandruff: Jojoba oil naturally eases the effects of dandruff and dry scalp. For hair, add some to your favourite conditioner, especially if your scalp itches after washday. Jojoba oil is anti-fungal, helping to kill the bacterial and fungal infections caused by dirty hair tools, the elements, etc. Jojoba does not interrupt the scalp’s natural balance because of its similarities to the oil your skin naturally produces.
- Damage protection: The fatty acids in jojoba oil not only condition the hair, but protect it from styling tool-induced heat damage, says Dr. Jaliman. And remember those potent antioxidants? They defend your hair against free radicals the same way they do your skin. For those with colour treated hair, adding jojoba oil to your repertoire can help extend the length of your colour too, says Dr. Jaliman. To score these protective benefits, run a drop of two of jojoba oil through your hair before and after styling.
- Promotes hair thickness: The vitamins and minerals found in jojoba oil (vitamins B and C, zinc, copper) provide nourishment to the hair and help keep it thick and growing. “The zinc that’s found in jojoba oil, for example, is vital for the tissue in the hair to grow,” says Dr. Husain. “It helps the follicles grow and maintains the functionality of the surrounding oil glands.” It’s also excellent for strengthening the hair, he adds, and advises that anyone suffering from hair loss apply a few drops to their scalp as a regular leave-in treatment. “This will help moisturise the follicles to prevent dryness, which can lead to hair falling out,” says Dr. Husain.
- Delays greys: Copper deficiency can lead to loss of pigment and premature grey hair, and copper itself is currently being studied as a potential topical anti-aging compound. Because jojoba oil contains copper, along with protective antioxidants like vitamins C and E, applying it could help slow down this process and restore some of the lost copper, says Dr. Husain. Until the jury’s back on how effective jojoba oil is in this department, give it as much time to (potentially) combat greys as possible by using it as a leave-in conditioner. Massage a few drops onto your scalp and hair, after showering and before styling—then cross your fingers.
Experiencing hair fall and looking for a hair treatment, book your appointment today and one of our consultants will assist you.